With the original floor removed, we can look all the way from the basement to the rafters in the central section of Alumni Hall. This view shows the curved south wall of what used to be an auditorium and theatre. On the other side of the wall is Seymour Union.
Not quite Leighton’s “Athlete Wrestling With a Python,” but it’s close: Workers use steel hooks and skid plates to maneuver the concrete delivery hose while spreading the floor in the west wing of Alumni Hall.
Starting in 1949, the Knox College Bookstore called the basement of Alumni Hall home. It was housed in the lowest level of the east wing next to the Hearth, later called the Gizmo, until the mid-1960’s. This shop for students was one of the many uses of the versatile basement space through the years.
Alumni Hall will welcome a myriad of visitors each year, from prospective students and parents to community members and returning alumni. The Dick and Joan Whitcomb Heritage Center, housed on the third floor and visible to all via the second floor atrium, will introduce these visitors to the remarkable heritage of Knox College and the City of Galesburg thanks to the museum-quality display housed within the center.