Dick and Joan Whitcomb Heritage Center

A rendering of the display in the Heritage Visitors Center in Alumni Hall.Alumni Hall will welcome a myriad of visitors each year, from prospective students and parents to community members and returning alumni. The Dick and Joan Whitcomb Heritage Center, housed on the third floor and visible to all via the second floor atrium, will introduce these visitors to the remarkable heritage of Knox College and the City of Galesburg thanks to the museum-quality display housed within the center.

Lincoln Studies Center

Knox College is fortunate to have a number of authentic connections to Abraham Lincoln. Rodney Davis and Douglas Wilson, co-directors of the Lincoln Studies Center at Knox College.As a young man, Lincoln was a member of the Illinois legislature that granted the institution its charter in 1837. Twenty-one years later, the east side of a brand new Main building on the Knox campus was the site of Lincoln’s fifth debate in the famous series with Stephen A. Douglas. And Knox bestowed the first academic honor of any kind to the self-educated Lincoln with the awarding of an honorary doctorate to the presidential candidate in 1860.

Lincoln continues to be a part of Knox College through the Lincoln Studies Center, which is devoted to the study of Lincoln’s life and work. Its principal focus is on producing scholarly editions that make significant primary source material more accessible. In addition, the Center seeks to broaden the understanding of Lincoln and his legacy through a variety of activities, including sponsorship of cooperative research and publication, Internet archives, lectures, conferences, and classroom instruction. Learn more about the Lincoln Studies Center.

Mark and Jeannette Kleine Center for Community Service

A Knox College student works with students at a Galesburg elementary school.From tutoring school children and repairing homes to preparing meals for those in need, Knox students are looking to the broader world beyond campus and making a positive difference in the Galesburg community. Those efforts are coordinated through the Mark and Jeannette Kleine Center for Community Service. The Center matches the interests of Knox students, clubs, and organizations to the needs of the Galesburg and the Knox County area. The Center also works with academic departments to implement experiential learning components of the academic program, with the goal of making every student a responsible steward of the environment and a responsible citizen. Last year, Knox students volunteered more than 16,500 hours of their time to benefit the community. Learn more about the Mark and Jeannette Kleine Center for Community Service.

Eleanor Stellyes Center for Global Studies

Many Knox students travel abroad each year through the Eleanor Stellyes Center for Global Studies.No college education is complete unless it helps students understand the world in which they live and the people and issues they are certain to encounter as their lives unfold. And Knox firmly believes in a global education, with approximately 50% of Knox students studying off campus before they graduate. Knox offers 31 off-campus programs located in 18 countries, as well as the United States.

The Eleanor Stellyes Center for Global Studies facilitates a global education by coordinating study abroad and off-campus programs, sponsoring distinguished guest speakers and scholars-in-residence who bring international perspectives to campus, promoting international travel and research, and integrating the experiences of students who have studied abroad into the life of the community. Learn more about the Eleanor Stellyes Center for Global Studies.