From the Register-Mail:
In June 1836, George W. Gale led a contingent of 25 from Oneida, N.Y., with a goal of establishing a new village and college in central Illinois. By the winter of 1836 the population swelled to 227 men, women and children in what would be become Galesburg, with a college named Knox. On Jan. 27, 1841, two square miles were incorporated and the village was officially established.
In 1854 the Railroad rolled into the village and Galesburg quickly established itself as a railroad center. Knox College flourished and hosted one of the famed Lincoln-Douglas debates in 1858. In 1853 Lombard College opened and Galesburg was noted nationwide as a college town.
As Galesburg grew the need for the disbursement of local, state and national news happenings grew in importance….
Records at the University of Illinois, The Springfield Lincoln Museum/Library and the Galesburg Public Library reveal that Galesburg has been served by more than 50 newspapers in its 177-year history.