From The Register-Mail:
Prize-winning and honorable mention photos from the third annual Off-Campus Study Photo Contest, sponsored by the Associated Colleges of the Midwest, are on display in Monmouth Collegeâ€™s Hewes Library through March 23.
The exhibit contains the work of one Monmouth College student and five Knox College students.
The photos were taken by students at ACM colleges who have participated in off-campus study programs, either in the U.S. or other countries. Ten prize-winning photos were selected in the contest and 14 other photos received honorable mention recognition.
The 2010-11 contestâ€™s grand prize was awarded to Anna Carlson Schattauer, a senior at St. Olaf College, for her mesmerizing photo â€œWhirling Dervishes at Sunset,â€ which captured the graceful movements of Sufi mystics in the gathering dusk.
Photos were also awarded first, second and third place in each of three categories â€” people, stories and artistry. In all, 99 photos were submitted for the contest through the ACM collegesâ€™ off-campus study offices.
The photo contest celebrates the history and role that off-campus study plays in liberal arts education.
The local angle
- Knox College junior Victoria Ezellâ€™s photo, â€œStained Glass,â€ which was taken at Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris, was awarded second in the artistry category. Ezell was studying at the Danish Institute for Study Abroad in Copenhagen, Denmark, in the fall of 2010 when she took the photo.
- Knox College senior Jae Hyoung Leeâ€™s photo, â€œBracelets,â€ which was taken in Tarangire, Tanzania, in the fall of 2009 while studying at ACM Tanzania, earned her third place in the artistry category.
- Monmouth College senior Ben Morrowâ€™s photo, â€œYou Donâ€™t know Where Youâ€™re Going, Unless You Know Where Youâ€™ve Been,â€ was taken in Pune, India, while studying at ACM India during the fall of 2009. It earned him an honorable mention.
- Knox College sophomore John Evan Feeley, earned an honorable mention for his photo, â€œJuggling Anarchy,â€ while participating in the collegeâ€™s program in Barcelona, Spain, last fall.
- Knox College senior Andrea Houlihan was studying at ACM Botswana in the spring of 2010 when she took her photo, â€œMosadi Mogolo,â€ in Maun, Botswana. It earned her an honorable mention.
- Knox College senior Sara DeMaria earned honorable mention for her photo, â€œOut to Dry,â€ taken in Waitomo, New Zealand, while enrolled in AustraLearn Semester Abroad at Lincoln University during the fall of 2009.