DAVENPORT FICTION PRIZE
DEADLINE: Tuesday, April 24 at 4 p.m.
1) entrants must be in “good standing” but need not be English majors or enrolled in an English course; students who completed coursework on campus during the 2017-18 school year, but have not yet commenced and are not currently enrolled are eligible to submit, provided they will be commencing from Knox in June;
2) only one story per author is allowed;
3) submitted stories need not be written especially for the contest, but cannot have been previously published off campus (note that publication on-campus does not exclude a story from entry); no story that has received a prize in a Knox contest may be submitted to any subsequent contest, although a rejected manuscript may be submitted a second time; any story currently under review for another prize may be submitted;
4) each submission must include a title page or cover sheet with the author’s name and complete contact information, as well as the title of the story; please leave name off subsequent pages;
5) each submission should be double-spaced and paginated;
6) each submitted manuscript is limited to 10,000 words;
7) only original work by the contestant may be entered (translations are not eligible);
8) all entries must be submitted in hardcopy to Monica Berlin’s office (Old Main 302) no later than Tuesday, April 24 by 4 p.m. If you have questions about the submission guidelines, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Submissions by graduating seniors will also be considered for the Proctor Fenn Sherwin Prize.
Cash prizes are determined by the English Department, in consultation with the judge’s recommendations for awards. As well, the prize-winning manuscripts each year will be retained by the college and may be published on the English Department’s website.