The Davenport Poetry Prize Deadline is 4 p.m. on April 2.
1) entrants must be in “good standing” but need not be English majors or enrolled in an English course; students who completed coursework on campus during the 2019-20 school year, but have not yet commenced and are not currently enrolled are eligible to submit, provided they will be commencing from Knox in June;
2) submitted manuscripts should include three poems; only one manuscript submission per student is allowed (our judge reserves the right to select prize winners based on a single poem or on the manuscript as a whole);
3) submitted poems need not be written especially for the contest, but poems cannot have been previously published off-campus (note that publication on-campus does not exclude a poem from entry); no poem that has received a prize in a Knox contest may be submitted to any subsequent contest, although a rejected manuscript may be submitted a second time;
4) your submission must include a title page or cover sheet with the author’s name, complete contact information, and the title of each poem; please leave your name off subsequent pages;
5) only original work by the contestant may be entered (translations are not eligible);
6) all entries must be submitted via email to email@example.com no later than Thursday, April 2, by 4:00 p.m. Please attach your manuscript as a pdf (and please do not share on the drive).
If you have questions about the submission guidelines, contact firstname.lastname@example.org. (Cash prizes are determined by the English Department, in consultation with the judge’s recommendations for awards. As well, the prize-winning manuscripts each year will be retained by the College and may be published on the English Department’s website.) This year’s judge is John McCarthy. For more details, click here. Prizewinners will be announced at McCarthy’s Caxton reading on April 24 at 4 p.m. at 306 E. Simmons.