The Library has access to the Project Muse Basic College Collection of academic journals on a trial basis until Nov. 22, 2013. This is a collection of about 140 scholarly journals in the social sciences and humanities.
October 9, 2013
Each year the Illinois State Library makes available dozens of databases to the residents of Illinois on a trial basis for a two-month period in the fall. These databases are available on the Try-It! Illinois 2013 site. This site requires a login, which you may obtain from a reference librarian (or stop by the Reference Desk in Seymour Library). The Try-It! site will be available through Nov. 30, 2013.
July 24, 2012
The library has started subscriptions to several new databases:
- ATLA Religion — Covers the research literature of religion: biblical studies, world religions, church history, and religion in social issues. Coverage includes citations to journal articles, essay citations from multi-author works and book reviews from 1949 to the present.
- GeoREF — A comprehensive database covering literature of the geosciences. Citations to journals, books, maps, government reports, conference papers, theses and dissertations are included in the database.
- PsycTESTS — A repository of over 4,500 psychological tests and measures; many of the tests are available in the database in full text. The database also includes structured information about the tests.
- Statista — A statistics portal integrating over 60,000 diverse topics of data and facts from over 10,000 sources. Statista provides direct access to relevant quantitative facts on agriculture, finance, politics, and many more areas of interest. Sources of information include market researchers, trade publications, scientific journals, and government databases. Data are presented visually in charts and can also be downloaded in Excel format.
March 14, 2012
Naxos Music Library is an online classical music library offering streaming access to more than 50,000 CDs. The Library features classical, jazz and world music and liner notes are included for most recordings. Contents of the Library can be searched by composer, work, genre and label and more. Listeners can create personalized playlists or use predefined Naxos Music Library playlists. See a guide on using Naxos Music Library.
January 12, 2012
RIPM Retrospective Index to Music Periodicals is a database with detailed content analysis of writings on musical history and culture between 1800 and 1950. RIPM currently indexes the contents of 140 music periodicals including articles, reviews, illustrations, music examples, advertisements, press reviews, and more. This trial lasts through April 30, 2012.
Anthropology Online is a new full text database comprised of 140 sources spanning from the 19th century to the present day covering a wide range of written ethnographies, field notes, seminal texts, memoirs, and contemporary studies. The majority of the content is in English, accompanied by some French and German material. Geographical coverage is global, with special focus given outside the developed world. This trial lasts through March 12, 2012.
Oxford Bibliographies Online is a collection of authoritative research guides. “Combining the best features of an annotated bibliography and a high-level encyclopedia, this cutting-edge resource guides researchers to the best available scholarship across a wide variety of subjects.” This trial lasts until March 23, 2012.
Plunkett Research Online is a business database focusing on market research and trends. The database also provides in-depth analysis of top companies and statistics for industries in 33 major areas. This trial lasts through February 23, 2012.
December 13, 2011
The Knox College Library now provides access to 100 titles in the Safari Books Online collection. This custom collection consists of 100 titles on software development, programming and computer engineering. Books are presented with tables of contents allowing you to navigate quickly and easily to specific sections with relevant content. The Safari site has a search function that allows you to search for terms and phrases across the whole custom collection of ebooks. Safari titles are integrated into the Knox Library catalog with direct links to the titles on the Safari site.
Over 300 electronic books from CABI are now available to Knox students, faculty and staff. The CAB eBook collection consists of books published from 2005 to the present in the areas of agriculture, environmental science, animal and veterinary science, human health and nutrition, leisure and tourism, and plant sciences. CABI is a not-for-profit international organization that improves people’s lives by providing information and applying scientific expertise to solve problems in agriculture and the environment.
CAB ebooks are displayed as pdf files, and you may display whole books or individual chapters. The search function on the site allows you to search for terms and phrases across the whole collection of books and chapters. The CAB titles are also integrated into the Knox Library catalog with direct links to the CAB eBook site.
August 24, 2011
The Library is evaluating some products this fall. If you use any of these products and wish to make comments about them, please send those comments to Laurie Sauer.
- CAB Ebooks — The CAB Ebooks collection focuses on agriculture, animal and veterinary sciences, environmental sciences, human health, food and nutrition, leisure and tourism, and plant sciences. This trial includes over 500 ebooks published from 2000 to the present. Books are indexed and retrievable as chapters in pdf. This trial lasts through Sept. 30, 2011.
- Ebrary Computer and Information Technology Ebook Collection — This collection from Ebrary of over 3,000 titles focuses on computer and information technology: programming, operating systems, database management, internet and networks and more. The collection is fully searchable by keyword. Content is viewable online and you have the ability to save items to your virtual bookshelf. Printing by page permitted, but printing (or capturing to pdf) by chapter may be restricted by publishers. This trial lasts until Sept. 19, 2011.
- Safari Tech Books Online — The Safari Tech Books collection features over 11,000 titles from major tech books publishers: Addison-Wesley, Adobe Press, Cisco Press, Que, Sams, Microsoft Press and more. Content across all books is fully searchable. Downloading chapters is not permitted in Safari Books Online. This trial expires on Sept. 18, 2011.
- Naxos Music Library — Naxos Music Library is an online classical music library offering streaming access to more than 52,677 CDs. The Library features classical, jazz and world music and liner notes are included for most recordings. Contents of the Library can be searched by composer, work, genre and label and more. Listeners can create personalized playlists or use predefined Naxos Music Library playlists. This trial expires at end of October, 2011.
- Education in Video — From Alexander Street Press, this streaming video collection is developed specifically for training and developing teachers. The collection contains teaching demonstrations, lectures, documentaries, and primary-source footage of students and teachers in actual classrooms. This trial expires on Oct. 26, 2011.
April 5, 2011
The Library has the following databases available on a trial basis.
- Music Online: Listening — A comprehensive database from Alexander Street Press of streaming audio featuring recordings from the genres of classical music, contemporary world music, American song, jazz, opera, and recordings from the Smithsonian Global Sound collection. This trial expires on May 28.
- The American West: Sources from the Everett D. Graff Collection at the Newberry Library, Chicago — A full text collection from Adam Matthew Digital of original manuscripts, ephemeral material (trade cards, wanted posters, photos, claim certificates, news-sheets etc), maps, and rare printed works documenting the history of the U.S. West. NOTE: The full text pdf files are NOT available during this trial. This trial expires on April 30th.
- African American Newspapers, 1827-1998 — Provides online access to approximately 270 U.S. newspapers chronicling a century and a half of the African American experience. This unique collection features papers from more than 35 states—including many rare and historically significant 19th century titles. This trial is available until May 14.
June 30, 2010
We are pleased to announce availability of the following new electronic resources.
- JSTOR III — This collection of 151 full text journals supplements our existing JSTOR collections, JSTOR I, II and the Ecology & Botany collections. The JSTOR III collection focuses on the academic subjects music, art and religion.
- Chicago Manual of Style Online — This major style guide is now available online. In addition to the full text in chapter format, the online version also has a Quick Guide to Chicago style and some other useful tools.
- Cambridge Histories Online — Over 250 volumes in 15 different academic subjects comprise the Cambridge Histories Online e-resource. The site has searching and browsing capability and personalization options. The full text of each Cambridge History title is included.