The Library recently acquired more online journal content by licensing the Sage Premier collection of online journals. The Sage Premier collection complements our Sage Deep Backfile collection by providing coverage for journals from 1999 to the present. Knox’s Sage collection now contains 298 scholarly journals in the social sciences with coverage from the first issue of each journal up through the present issue. Our acquisition of both of these collections is partially subsidized by CARLI, the Consortium of Academic and Research Libraries in Illinois. Access the Sage Collection from the library’s Databases A-Z web page.
January 18, 2008
September 11, 2007
Knox College Library has the following databases available on a trial basis.
- Aluka is an international, collaborative initiative building an online digital library of scholarly resources from and about Africa. Contributed materials include archival documents, periodicals, books, reports, manuscripts, reference works, 3-D models, maps, oral histories, plant specimens, photographs, and slides. The three main content areas currently are: African Cultural Heritage Sites & Landscapes, African Plants, and Struggles for Freedom in Southern Africa. Aluka is currently being offered at no charge through the end of December 2007.
- The eHRAF World Cultures, produced by the Human Relations Area Files, Inc. from Yale University, is a database that contains over 400,000 pages of information on all aspects of cultural and social life. The eHRAF database is unique in that the information is organized into cultures and ethnic groups and the full-text sources are subject-indexed at the paragraph level. This trial lasts through Dec. 31, 2007.
- The Bibliography of Asian Studies includes citations to principally western-language articles and book chapters on all parts of Asia published since 1971. Please contact a reference librarian to obtain login information for this database. The trial expires Oct. 31, 2007.
September 7, 2007
The Library recently added five new licensed databases to its growing collection:
- Historical Abstracts covers the history of the world (excluding the United States and Canada) from 1450 to the present, featuring coverage of academic historical journals in over 40 languages since 1955. This is cross-searchable with our subscription to America: History & Life.
- GenderWatch provides authoritative historical and current perspectives on the evolution of gender roles as they affect both men and women. GenderWatch supports gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender (GLBT) studies; family studies; gender studies, and women’s studies. Coverage ranges from 1970 to the present and over 200 journals are included.
- Worldwide Political Science Abstracts provides citations, abstracts, and indexing of the international serials literature in political science and its complementary fields, including international relations, law, and public administration/policy. The database is building on the merged backfiles of Political Science Abstracts, published by IFI/Plenum, 1975-2000, and ABC POL SCI, published by ABC-CLIO, 1984-2000. Since 2000, development of the serials list has focused on expanding international coverage. As of November 2005 approximately 1,500+ titles are being monitored for coverage; of these, 67% are published outside the United States. This database replaces International Political Science Abstracts.
- The Sage Deep Backfile is a collection of 298 e-journals in the social sciences. The content for each journal goes back to the first issue of the journal and continues through the last issue of 1998. Knox’s purchase of this collection is made possible with subsidization from CARLI (the Consortium of Academic and Research Libraries in Illinois).
- The JSTOR II collection full text electronic journals complements our existing JSTOR I and JSTOR’s Ecology & Botany collections. This new collection comprises 188 additional titles in a variety of subject areas, including Classical Studies, Anthropology, Sociology and Political Science.
March 21, 2007
Knox College Library is pleased to offer the following databases for a trial period. The Library is interested in your feedback about these databases, so post a comment here or send comments to your library liaison.
- Historical Abstracts covers the history of the world (excluding the United States and Canada) from 1450 to the present, featuring coverage of academic historical journals in over 40 languages since 1955. This is cross-searchable with our subscription to America: History & Life. This trial expires May 3rd.
- ATLA Religion Database provides information on topics such as biblical studies, world religions, church history, and religion in social issues. It covers the research literature of religion in over 60 languages. It includes more than 488,000 article citations from more than 1,500 journals (506 currently indexed), more than 215,000 essay citations from over 15,700 multi-author works, more than 446,000 book review citations. Coverage spans from 1949 to the present. Also available is the ATLASerials, Religion Collection offering links to the full text of over 153,700 electronic articles and book reviews, from more than seventy journals selected by leading religion scholars in the United States. This trial is available until May 21.
- LGBT Life with Full Text contains all of the content available in LGBT Life as well as full text for 50 of the most important and historically significant LGBT journals, magazines and regional newspapers, as well as dozens of full text monographs. Indexes publications such as The Advocate, Lesbian News, Washington Blade, Bay Area Reporter and the full run of ONE (1953 - 1967), The Ladder (1956 - 1972), Mattachine Review (1955 - 1964), Christopher Street (1976 - 1995) and Body Politic (1971 - 1987). This trial is available until May 21.
- GenderWatch provides authoritative historical and current perspectives on the evolution of gender roles as they affect both men and women. GenderWatch supports gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender (GLBT) studies; family studies; gender studies, and women’s studies. Coverage ranges from 1970 to the present and over 200 journals are included. Please obtain the password from a reference librarian or stop by the reference desk. The trial expires April 25.
- Worldwide Political Science Abstracts provides citations, abstracts, and indexing of the international serials literature in political science and its complementary fields, including international relations, law, and public administration / policy. The database is building on the merged backfiles of Political Science Abstracts, published by IFI / Plenum, 1975-2000, and ABC POL SCI, published by ABC-CLIO, 1984-2000. Since 2000, development of the serials list has focused on expanding international coverage. As of November 2005 approximately 1,500+ titles are being monitored for coverage; of these, 67% are published outside the United States. This trial is available through April 30th.
- Book Index with Reviews is a comprehensive database that provides information on 4 million book titles, over 500,000 music titles, and over 200,000 video titles, each in a wide range of formats. It contains over 800,000 full-text searchable book reviews from sources such as Library Journal, School Library Journal, Publishers Weekly, CHOICE, and others. This trial is available until May 21.
February 7, 2007
Knox College now has campus-wide access to Choice Reviews Online. Knox faculty, staff and students can search or browse issues of Choice magazine from 1987 to the present. With Choice Reviews Online, it is also possible to create a personal profile which will allow you to save searches and lists of items. Please contact Laurie Sauer if you have any problems using Choice Reviews Online.
November 17, 2006
Knox College Library is pleased to announce a new subscription to the Accunet/AP Multimedia Archive. This database contains images and graphics from 1826 to today, as well as 4,500 hours of audio files from the 1920s to the present. The content is primarily drawn from the archives of the Associated Press, one of the oldest news organizations in the United States, founded in 1848.
The AccuWeather.com Premium service is also available with this service. AccuWeather has hour-by-hour weather forecasts to 15 days, animated local radar, satellite loops. and more.
Please note with both of these services that use is limited to one user at a time. If the sites are busy, please try again later.
November 2, 2006
CARLI has the following trial databases through Nov. 19, 2006. See a reference librarian for the username and password.
EUROPA WORLD PLUS Europa World Plus adds to the Europa World Year Book the content of the nine Regional Surveys of the World, making it the most comprehensive resource ever to cover the nations and territories of the world. A team of regional specialists updates the site throughout the year, and provide fully revised statistical and directory name and contact data two times a year. In addition to the already massive pool of data provided by Europa World, the database provides access to a full range of sophisticated search and browse functions, interactive tables, and archived statistics.
IISS ARMED CONFLICT DATABASE Interactive, objective, and user-friendly, the Database covers more than 70 armed conflicts around the globe, featuring top-notch analysis and data from the non-ideological, highly sought-after experts at the IISS, the International Institute for Strategic Studies. In addition, ACD provides in-depth analysis, historical background, data on human consequences, event timelines, military makeup of armed groups, and quarterly assessments for each conflict. A list of non-state armed groups, their estimated strength, origin, political or ideological aims, and areas of operation is also included. INTERNATIONAL WHO’S WHO The International Who’s Who brings together our most gifted, famous and influential contemporaries from around the globe. This venerable resource takes full advantage of the Web to provide a valuable and sophisticated array of ways to locate biographical details for more than 20,000 individuals. Coverage is truly global and encompasses a broad sweep of professions, including science, medicine, business, finance, politics, international affairs, diplomacy, law, art, music, entertainment, and fashion, to name a few. ROUTLEDGE ENCYCLOPEDIA OF PHILOSOPHY The first multi-volume Encyclopedia to be published in the discipline in over thirty years, REP is now regarded as the definitive resource in the field. Featuring 2,000 original entries from a team of over 1,300 of the world’s most respected scholars and philosophers, REP swiftly accumulated rave reviews and awards, including selection by Library Journal as one of its 50 Sources for the Millennium, and recognition as an Outstanding Reference Source by the American Library Association. Politics & International Relations database and Routledge Religion Resource database
October 3, 2006
The Library has free trials through Oct. 31, 2006 for the following two databases:
The Associated Press Multimedia Archive provides access to a historical non-bias and reputable Collection of Photos, Graphics, Text, and Audio files spanning over the past 160 years. The database has:
More than 2.3 million photographs from 1826 to today
More than 53,000 graphics: Maps, charts, graphs, logos, timelines, etc.
Over 1.1 million audio clips from the 1920’s to 48 hours ago.
Associated Press news stories from 1997 to 48 hours ago
This is a comprehensive online resource available for Congressional hearings, public issues, legislation, history, and legal research. The database provides access to the full-text of more than 214 years worth of detailed information about Congress, including member biographies, committee assignments, voting records, financial data, and the full-text of key regulatory and statutory resources.
The library has made several important additions to our collection of subscription database
Anthrosource replaces Anthropological Literature as the database of choice for topics in anthropology. Developed by the American Anthropological Association (AAA), AnthroSource provides coverage of important anthropology journals spanning the last 100 years in its electronic archive of all AAA journals. Content also includes current issues for 15 of the AAA’s most critical peer-reviewed publications through the end of 2006, including American Anthropologist, American Ethnologist, Anthropology and Education Quarterly, and Medical Anthropology Quarterly.
Book Review Index Plus is a comprehensive
source for book reviews that electronically indexes reviews from 1965 to the present, and provides more than 634,000 full-text reviews. This is the electronic version of the print publication.
CIAO [Columbia International Affairs Online] publishes a wide range of scholarship from 1991 onward that includes working papers from university research institutes, occasional papers series from NGOs, foundation-funded research projects, proceedings from conferences, books, journals and policy briefs. CIAO is also source for teaching materials including original case studies written by leading international affairs experts, course packs of background readings for history and political science classes, and special features like the analysis of a bin Laden recruitment tape with video.
Columbia Earthscape is an integrated, interdisciplinary resource that connects the Earth and environmental sciences with their social, political, and economic dimensions. The database contains full text sources of a variety of materials such as lectures, video, animation and images, legislation, regional studies, international environmental documents, white papers, journal articles, conference literature, full-text monographs and selected chapters, and online data sets.
International Political Science Abstracts (IPSA), produced by the International Political Science Association and available through the EbscoHost interface, includes current indexing and abstracts of the world’s leading journals in political science. This database contains over 110,000 records from nearly 900 journals published from 1989 to the present.
Latin American Newsstand from ProQuest
provides full-text information in Spanish and Portuguese from 37 newspapers from Puerto Rico and 11 Latin American countries, including Mexico, Argentina, and Brazil. The complete articles are available in ASCII format.
RILM Music Abstracts, via FirstSearch, contains citations with abstracts to articles, books, bibliographies, catalogues, conference proceedings, discographies, dissertations, ethnographic recordings, Festschriften, films, iconographies, and videos. Concert reviews, recording notes, and pedagogical manuals are indexed if they are of scholarly interest. Over 500 scholarly journals are represented.