The Knox College Library now provides access to 100 titles in the Safari Books Online collection. This custom collection consists of 100 titles on software development, programming and computer engineering. Books are presented with tables of contents allowing you to navigate quickly and easily to specific sections with relevant content. The Safari site has a search function that allows you to search for terms and phrases across the whole custom collection of ebooks. Safari titles are integrated into the Knox Library catalog with direct links to the titles on the Safari site.
Over 300 electronic books from CABI are now available to Knox students, faculty and staff. The CAB eBook collection consists of books published from 2005 to the present in the areas of agriculture, environmental science, animal and veterinary science, human health and nutrition, leisure and tourism, and plant sciences. CABI is a not-for-profit international organization that improves people’s lives by providing information and applying scientific expertise to solve problems in agriculture and the environment.
CAB ebooks are displayed as pdf files, and you may display whole books or individual chapters. The search function on the site allows you to search for terms and phrases across the whole collection of books and chapters. The CAB titles are also integrated into the Knox Library catalog with direct links to the CAB eBook site.
CARLI purchased the Springer Medicine Collection of electronic books, which includes 1711 English/International titles published by Springer from 2005 through 2010. CARLI purchased this collection for all member libraries.
You can view all the titles in this new collection by performing a search on the term “SpringerLink” in either our new VuFind catalog or in the classic catalog. The ebooks are identifiable in our library catalog in several ways:
- There is a note about online access in the record of each title; it looks like this: Online Access: SpringerLink Restricted to Knox College affiliates
- There is a note in the record that indicates the item is an ebook. It looks like this: Genres: Electronic books.
- The call numbers have the suffix “eb” appended; an example looks like this: RC685.H8 H7872 2005eb
The Springer Medicine collection of ebooks comes with guaranteed perpetual access to the content and Springer does not enforce Digital Rights Management (DRM). Springer’s policy allows for unlimited printing and emailing for scholarly purposes, and inclusion in non-commercial materials. Therefore, faculty are free to link to chapters on Moodle pages or via the library’s course reserves system.
We are pleased to announce availability of the following new electronic resources.
- JSTOR III — This collection of 151 full text journals supplements our existing JSTOR collections, JSTOR I, II and the Ecology & Botany collections. The JSTOR III collection focuses on the academic subjects music, art and religion.
- Chicago Manual of Style Online — This major style guide is now available online. In addition to the full text in chapter format, the online version also has a Quick Guide to Chicago style and some other useful tools.
- Cambridge Histories Online — Over 250 volumes in 15 different academic subjects comprise the Cambridge Histories Online e-resource. The site has searching and browsing capability and personalization options. The full text of each Cambridge History title is included.