Knox College Library has the following databases available on a trial basis.
- Aluka is an international, collaborative initiative building an online digital library of scholarly resources from and about Africa. Contributed materials include archival documents, periodicals, books, reports, manuscripts, reference works, 3-D models, maps, oral histories, plant specimens, photographs, and slides. The three main content areas currently are: African Cultural Heritage Sites & Landscapes, African Plants, and Struggles for Freedom in Southern Africa. Aluka is currently being offered at no charge through the end of December 2007.
- The eHRAF World Cultures, produced by the Human Relations Area Files, Inc. from Yale University, is a database that contains over 400,000 pages of information on all aspects of cultural and social life. The eHRAF database is unique in that the information is organized into cultures and ethnic groups and the full-text sources are subject-indexed at the paragraph level. This trial lasts through Dec. 31, 2007.
- The Bibliography of Asian Studies includes citations to principally western-language articles and book chapters on all parts of Asia published since 1971. Please contact a reference librarian to obtain login information for this database. The trial expires Oct. 31, 2007.
The Library recently added five new licensed databases to its growing collection:
- Historical Abstracts covers the history of the world (excluding the United States and Canada) from 1450 to the present, featuring coverage of academic historical journals in over 40 languages since 1955. This is cross-searchable with our subscription to America: History & Life.
- GenderWatch provides authoritative historical and current perspectives on the evolution of gender roles as they affect both men and women. GenderWatch supports gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender (GLBT) studies; family studies; gender studies, and women’s studies. Coverage ranges from 1970 to the present and over 200 journals are included.
- Worldwide Political Science Abstracts provides citations, abstracts, and indexing of the international serials literature in political science and its complementary fields, including international relations, law, and public administration/policy. The database is building on the merged backfiles of Political Science Abstracts, published by IFI/Plenum, 1975-2000, and ABC POL SCI, published by ABC-CLIO, 1984-2000. Since 2000, development of the serials list has focused on expanding international coverage. As of November 2005 approximately 1,500+ titles are being monitored for coverage; of these, 67% are published outside the United States. This database replaces International Political Science Abstracts.
- The Sage Deep Backfile is a collection of 298 e-journals in the social sciences. The content for each journal goes back to the first issue of the journal and continues through the last issue of 1998. Knox’s purchase of this collection is made possible with subsidization from CARLI (the Consortium of Academic and Research Libraries in Illinois).
- The JSTOR II collection full text electronic journals complements our existing JSTOR I and JSTOR’s Ecology & Botany collections. This new collection comprises 188 additional titles in a variety of subject areas, including Classical Studies, Anthropology, Sociology and Political Science.