Knox College Library is pleased to offer the following databases for a trial period. The Library is interested in your feedback about these databases, so post a comment here or send comments to your library liaison.
- Historical Abstracts covers the history of the world (excluding the United States and Canada) from 1450 to the present, featuring coverage of academic historical journals in over 40 languages since 1955. This is cross-searchable with our subscription to America: History & Life. This trial expires May 3rd.
- ATLA Religion Database provides information on topics such as biblical studies, world religions, church history, and religion in social issues. It covers the research literature of religion in over 60 languages. It includes more than 488,000 article citations from more than 1,500 journals (506 currently indexed), more than 215,000 essay citations from over 15,700 multi-author works, more than 446,000 book review citations. Coverage spans from 1949 to the present. Also available is the ATLASerials, Religion Collection offering links to the full text of over 153,700 electronic articles and book reviews, from more than seventy journals selected by leading religion scholars in the United States. This trial is available until May 21.
- LGBT Life with Full Text contains all of the content available in LGBT Life as well as full text for 50 of the most important and historically significant LGBT journals, magazines and regional newspapers, as well as dozens of full text monographs. Indexes publications such as The Advocate, Lesbian News, Washington Blade, Bay Area Reporter and the full run of ONE (1953 - 1967), The Ladder (1956 - 1972), Mattachine Review (1955 - 1964), Christopher Street (1976 - 1995) and Body Politic (1971 - 1987). This trial is available until May 21.
- GenderWatch provides authoritative historical and current perspectives on the evolution of gender roles as they affect both men and women. GenderWatch supports gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender (GLBT) studies; family studies; gender studies, and women’s studies. Coverage ranges from 1970 to the present and over 200 journals are included. Please obtain the password from a reference librarian or stop by the reference desk. The trial expires April 25.
- Worldwide Political Science Abstracts provides citations, abstracts, and indexing of the international serials literature in political science and its complementary fields, including international relations, law, and public administration / policy. The database is building on the merged backfiles of Political Science Abstracts, published by IFI / Plenum, 1975-2000, and ABC POL SCI, published by ABC-CLIO, 1984-2000. Since 2000, development of the serials list has focused on expanding international coverage. As of November 2005 approximately 1,500+ titles are being monitored for coverage; of these, 67% are published outside the United States. This trial is available through April 30th.
- Book Index with Reviews is a comprehensive database that provides information on 4 million book titles, over 500,000 music titles, and over 200,000 video titles, each in a wide range of formats. It contains over 800,000 full-text searchable book reviews from sources such as Library Journal, School Library Journal, Publishers Weekly, CHOICE, and others. This trial is available until May 21.